One of the awesome clients I've been able to work with has been Chris Kollar of Kollar Chocolates up in the Napa Valley area. For a piece on BestProducts.com, we took his recipe for Hazelnut Crunch and created a version perfect for home chef holiday preparation. As someone who struggles to make a dozen cupcakes, this is infinitely easier, infinitely more festive and the presentation is basically breaking it apart! I had the mix-ins resting on top, but feel free to mix throughout or leave them on top like I did!
1 lb. Hazelnuts
2 lb. your favorite milk chocolate
4 Sugar cones
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lay the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes (or until golden in color). Allow hazelnuts to cool after roasting
- Melt two pounds of your favorite milk chocolate in the microwave, in a microwavable dish. Melt the chocolate first on high for a minute, then on high in thirty second increments until the chocolate reaches 120°; mix chocolate in-between heating to ensure all the chocolate is being heated. Allow the chocolate to sit at room temperature until the chocolate is about 87°.
- Crush up four sugar cones.
- Combine chocolate, hazelnuts and sugar cone pieces in a bowl.
- Line baking sheet with parchment and/or wax paper. Pour mixture of melted chocolate, hazelnuts and sugar cone pieces on to the baking sheet in an even fashion. Lightly sprinkle a pinch of salt across all chocolate.
- Place baking sheet in the fridge and keep in fridge until solid (~ 1 hour).
- Take baking sheet out of the fridge, take off parchment and/or wax paper and break into smaller pieces.